Wednesday, April 15, 2009

April 15, 2009

The weather is just perfect for working in the garden but I have an uncooperative body, so I'm reading and planning instead of weeding and planting. Sigh.
Right now I'm reading 2 books that are garden related.


Odd Lots by Thomas C. Cooper; Seasonal Notes of a City Gardener. This was a gift from Carrie for my 57th birthday.


Color Echoes by Pamela J. Harper, Harmonizing Color In The Garden. This is a library book and I have no clue how I discovered it. Mostly I've been looking at the beautiful pictures!

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

I guess it's good that I couldn't rush out and start digging and planting, because thoughtful delay has changed some of my original plans. I wanted my swing moved to the southwest wooded spot, but Carrie (my dd) showed me that a swing would be too busy and active in that dappled shade where the copse of Hemlock cradle the perfect spot for a bench. The only colors there right now are green and brown. So the coming flowering plants can be any color. I'm thinking the green and brown are the neutrals, the base on which to build.


The "Golden Dead Nettle" or "Yellow Archangel"

[Lamium galeobdolon] that grows behind the house dries out and wilts almost every day through the summer, so I want to move it to the southwest wooded spot, if the neighbor isn't worried about it moving through her hemlocks and into her yard. [This plant I bought in a small pot at a church garage sale. It....grew! LOL!]

I think the Lily of the Valley
[Convallaria majalis]I had planned for that area will not get enough shade. I can still put it over closer to Sedona Trail, where the trees are thicker and nothing else grows.


I want to consult with my neighbor [a landscape designer and nursery owner] about the other plant choices in this area; whether they should be all one color bloom, variations of one color or complementary colors. Already there will be white and yellow along with the green and brown - and perhaps the bright blue of her flowers, the Glory of the Snow [Chionodoxa] that are gradually sneaking in.


I will stop with these changes for this year at least, and get to know the new garden area, read a few good books on the bench, maybe find an old picnic table that blends in with the leaves and trunks. *MY* biggest challenge will be following through with watering.

No comments:

Post a Comment