Monday, March 26, 2012


Here's the best dandelion recipe I've ever tried! Made it tonight in fact. (see picture above.) It tastes heavenly!

Dandelion Greens
Brush away the protective blanket of last year’s foliage and a scant layer of soil to expose dandelion crowns. Don’t bother gathering from plants that have gone to flower. Here’s why: as the energy moves up to the blossom, the greens becomes quite bitter and require blanching to be toothsome.
The flowers, however, may be used to make wine or Honey-Preserved Blossom Spread (see below). Please note: do not gather dandelions from lawns, public trails, roadsides or any chemically-tainted area.
Back home with the goods, I pick over my haul and discard extraneous leaves and grasses. I’ll sauté the crowns (and leaves) with an onion and garlic and season with a pinch of sea salt and few grinds of fresh pepper.

1 comment:

  1. So, set aside any flower speech and extraneous bits. What did I actually do to the dandelion leaves?
    - pick them where I knew there were no chemicals used
    - clean out leaves and other non dandy bits
    - thoroughly rinse the leaves, and snip off bad bits
    - rinse again
    - start sliced onions and garlic in canola oil
    - when they've softened, add the dandelion leaves
    - stir now and then and cook til tender
    - eat them while they're hot!

    ReplyDelete